DART D2 Subway

northsouth

Re: DART D2 Subway

Postby northsouth » 31 Jan 2023 19:34

I think it might partially be a thing, but the frequency of trains and spacing of the stations interfere enough to lessen any positive effects. During off-peak times it works better, but at rush hour it gets a bit chaotic; if anything's off-schedule by more than a few minutes you can get trains backed up waiting for others to clear the stations.

The section of the southern Blue Line that runs down Lancaster has less issues from these factors. I rode it a few years ago after the UNT Dallas extension opened, and I don't think we got stuck at a single traffic light.

electricron

Postby electricron » 01 Feb 2023 09:45

northsouth wrote:I think it might partially be a thing, but the frequency of trains and spacing of the stations interfere enough to lessen any positive effects. During off-peak times it works better, but at rush hour it gets a bit chaotic; if anything's off-schedule by more than a few minutes you can get trains backed up waiting for others to clear the stations.

The section of the southern Blue Line that runs down Lancaster has less issues from these factors. I rode it a few years ago after the UNT Dallas extension opened, and I don't think we got stuck at a single traffic light.

Trains along South Lancaster are treated with traffic priority, like if it was a freight train on a dedicated right-of-way. Trains on Pacific and Bryan do not get the same priority. Before it was a transit mall, it was a street with no priority, just like it is today with only trains on it. The reason why trains back up is because traffic backs up when there are too many vehicles at typical signalized street intersections. Ever waited more than one red light sequence to get through a crowded intersection? The transit mall works with traffic from two, possibly three train lines going through it. It backs up when forcing four or more lines through it at very high frequencies during rush hours. Dallas is not the only transit agency placing light rail lines through city centers at grade on city streets. But few attempt trains every two minutes onto one mall.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 15 Aug 2023 21:55

Downtown Dallas Subway ‘D2’ Is No Longer Part of DART’s Long-Term Plans

Looks like it'll be a while before D2 happens. At the least the debt space it was taking up in the budget should be used for other things that need to be worked on. Can't say I'm not disappointed, since long-term this does need to happen, and unless they do something about the extreme budget bloat that affects American transit projects, it'll only ever get more expensive. Maybe they can look into grade separating D1 at some point; no way the city would agree to it but it'd a lot cheaper to elevate it instead of tunnel it.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 16 Aug 2023 08:03

I am sad I won't see anything like D2 in my lifetime now but so much has changed since covid and hybrid work office space etc.. Maybe this is a good thing and see how to grow more for how the urban growth is happening in Dallas. The days of everyone taking a train from all corners of the metro to downtown office space is probably forever over.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 16 Aug 2023 08:30

I know the City of Dallas wants to expand/connect the streetcars. Maybe this will allow them to do it.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Aug 2023 10:08

MC_ScattCat wrote:I know the City of Dallas wants to expand/connect the streetcars. Maybe this will allow them to do it.

I think that is the more reasonable thing to do

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Aug 2023 14:57

MC_ScattCat wrote:expand/connect the streetcars

A much better idea and use of money IMHO.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Aug 2023 15:16

Better D2 line starts in Frisco to love field, across cedar springs to arts district, convention center, Fair Park.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Aug 2023 01:35

Cheaper alternative plans to expensive Dallas D-2 subway possible

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/cheap ... y/3318271/