DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Hannibal Lecter

Re: DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Feb 2020 15:59

Cbdallas wrote:Southwest and American AA sent out memos to all employees to go online and vote against.

I very much doubt this. Both airlines' current public position is that it they have no position. Quite frankly, Dallas-Houston is a small market for Southwest these days. The vast majority of AA's passengers between the two cities is connecting traffic, which wouldn't be affected by a train.

Why would either airline risk the bad publicity if such a memo got out -- which it would -- over a completely meaningless "survey" about something that would have little effect on them?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Feb 2020 16:32

I was being facetious. I was puzzled why a survey in a very pro business site would skew against this project.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Feb 2020 16:33

I voted in that unscientific poll five time, from five different computers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Feb 2020 10:11

I tried but every time I tried to vote the page would just reload without counting my vote. Obviously a poll we should rely on for scientific data gathering.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 27 Feb 2020 11:10

Back in the early 90s when there was an earlier push to get high-speed rail in the Texas triangle, Southwest Airlines (and only Southwest, not Continental or American, fought it VERY hard. Short-haul, intra-Texas service was still Southwest's bread and butter at the time; now, not so much. My understanding is that none of them care very much one way or the other about the HSR project now.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 27 Feb 2020 14:36

Tucy wrote:Back in the early 90s when there was an earlier push to get high-speed rail in the Texas triangle, Southwest Airlines (and only Southwest, not Continental or American, fought it VERY hard. Short-haul, intra-Texas service was still Southwest's bread and butter at the time; now, not so much. My understanding is that none of them care very much one way or the other about the HSR project now.

That is 100% correct.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Feb 2020 13:22

I can't imagine they would, and it's not like the HSR operation is going to significantly impact air service between Dallas and Houston. Traffic between the two metros will continue to grow between now and the day it opens and will still continue to grow after it opens. This is just one more option for people to take advantage of.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Feb 2020 15:54

By the time it's open, the two population centers will have grown by a combined one million residents. by the time the train is up and running, it will be time to double the service. Is there any hope the I-35 redo through Austin will give some room for HSR?

electricron

Postby electricron » 29 Feb 2020 01:31

tamtagon wrote:By the time it's open, the two population centers will have grown by a combined one million residents. by the time the train is up and running, it will be time to double the service. Is there any hope the I-35 redo through Austin will give some room for HSR?

There is not room for express-managed-hov lanes without tunneling them under the regular lanes which are under the service roads in Austin - where do you think they can place double track HSR line?
If they were capable of building a HSR line within the I-35 corridor, where would you place the HSR train station? The HSR train will be placing its Houston train station at Loop 610 and US290, five miles or more away from downtown Houston. Is there anywhere closer in Austin for a HSR train station?
I do not think so..... :(

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 29 Feb 2020 10:25

The devil is in the details on getting a HSR type corridor through Austin for a HSR station downtown. Until it’s studied in detail (Environmental Impact Statement) with cost and many other factors considered it would be hard to say now. IH-35 might indeed be very difficult but perhaps another corridor is doable.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 08 May 2020 16:51

Court says Texas Central is a railroad.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... o-16918221

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 08 May 2020 16:52

Court says Texas Central is a railroad.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... o-16918221

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jun 2020 22:16

Well, they laid off the overwhelming majority of their staff in early March so have been operating with a skeleton crew since then. Not sure what that means going forward.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Jun 2020 11:22

Texas Central's high-speed rail project 'could require some stimulus money,' CEO says

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... money.html

The company, which is developing a multibillion-dollar high-speed rail line that could connect Dallas and Houston via a 90-minute train ride, laid off 28 employees in March and watched as the pandemic roiled global financial markets it hoped to tap for financing.

Texas Central is evaluating other means of financing besides private equity, according to an April 8 letter sent from Drayton McLane, Jr. — Texas Central chairman and an investor in the project — to Texas State Sen. Robert Nichols. The Dallas Business Journal obtained a copy of the letter, which can be seen here.

McLane gave an update on the project to Nichols, saying it's "turned into a $30B project and we have certainly hit a snag with all the difficulties of the Corona Virus."

"We feel that between Japanese government funding and the monies we hope to receive from President Trump's infrastructure stimulus through the Department of Transportation, along with private equity that the project still has a great opportunity, is viable and can be construction ready this year," McLane added.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Jun 2020 09:08

Which one gets built first (or ever): This rail line, or some semblance of a Trinity River Park?

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 15 Jun 2020 11:25

This thing is such a joke. Spend a billion dollars on creating a 'shuttle' like aircraft service between Love and Hobby (hell, spend an extra billion to build a special terminal at each airport to handle the unique traffic and low security needs) and then spend the left over $28 billion on solar panels and wind turbines. Boom, you've just offset the co2 emissions from those flights by probably 1000x.

eddieg1

Postby eddieg1 » 19 Jul 2020 16:11

Dallas-to-Houston high-speed rail project just got easier to build, but hurdles still remain

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/dalla ... 1c9ba3e57b

A new decision doesn't clear the way entirely for Texas Central to make its high-speed rail line a reality, but represents a major hurdle the company has overcome.
Texas Central won a key ruling Thursday that will make it easier to build the proposed high-speed rail line between Dallas and Houston, but hurdles remain before construction can begin.
The Surface Transportation Board, which oversees regulation of various modes of transportation, primarily freight rail, in addition to some passenger rail, reversed a prior decision, and will now take jurisdiction over the project.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Jul 2020 12:05

So does Houston have a plan to provide a connection the their light rail system or will you just come out of the station and have to take uber or a car to get into the urban core of the city?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Jul 2020 14:05

Cbdallas wrote:So does Houston have a plan to provide a connection the their light rail system or will you just come out of the station and have to take uber or a car to get into the urban core of the city?

I believe Houston passed a new transit plan that is slated to provide BRT service from the HSR station to both Downtown and Uptown/Galleria areas.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 21 Sep 2020 10:37

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... 582761.php

All that's left is the court ruling on eminent domain correct?

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 21 Sep 2020 15:35

Some good news finally! Looking more and more like this will be a reality.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Sep 2020 15:46

Good timing! So it'll be five years (?) before it's all up and running?

That means some Cedars construction starts next year with massive redevelopment beginning in 2022.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Sep 2020 18:40

Great news!! I'm really looking forward to the potential ancillary development that could occur in the immediate area.

electricron

Postby electricron » 04 Oct 2020 09:37

How close the train stations are to public transit is not as important as many suggest. This train will ultimately sink or swim financially depending upon its ability to attract business travelers who will ride the train twice a week - if not more often. Sure, attracting vacationers visiting families once a year and students traveling between homes and schools once a month will be nice bonus. But the bread and butter, as it is with all intercity travel around the world, will be those traveling on business. Business travels will more likely take a privately ran taxi, uber, or limo as they would take publicly subsidized transit to get to the train stations.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 Oct 2020 10:04

Cbdallas wrote:So does Houston have a plan to provide a connection the their light rail system or will you just come out of the station and have to take uber or a car to get into the urban core of the city?

On that note, do we have a plan here in Dallas to provide a connection to DART?

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Oct 2020 14:17

Tucy wrote:

The old conceptual renderings for the station included a skybridge connection to the Dallas Convention Center DART station. The newer renderings don't show off a view of such a connection but I imagine it would still be the plans.
Moving walkways like in airports would make this a very short hop and a skip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

electricron

Postby electricron » 05 Oct 2020 01:32

THRILLHO wrote:The old conceptual renderings for the station included a skybridge connection to the Dallas Convention Center DART station. The newer renderings don't show off a view of such a connection but I imagine it would still be the plans.

The Texas Central trains will have 8 cars, each car around 85 feet in length, for a total around 700 feet in length. A normal city block (short side of the rectangle) is 300 feet, so the train length will be over two blocks.

Using Google Earth tool function, from the intersection of Cadiz and Hotel which will be located on the north side of Texas Central's station, DART's convention center station is approximately 2200 feet away and Cedars station is 3200 feet away. Since the train will park south of the designated intersection, you might have to add the full length of the 700 feet train to reach the Convention Center station, likewise you might be able to shorten 700 feet to reach the Cedars station. So DART stations would be either 2200-2700 feet or 2500-3200 feet away. I would state depending upon which end of the train was riding on, that would determine which train station you would walk or ride to. So, it's either 7 to 8 blocks away with the train potentially being one of those blocks. Is asking potential riders to walk a half mile too far?

Will there be battery powered scooters or bikes sharing stations nearby? Will there be free or pay shuttle buses? Somehow, I believe the demand and supply and user costs will determine what will be available.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Oct 2020 11:47

electricron wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:The old conceptual renderings for the station included a skybridge connection to the Dallas Convention Center DART station. The newer renderings don't show off a view of such a connection but I imagine it would still be the plans.

The Texas Central trains will have 8 cars, each car around 85 feet in length, for a total around 700 feet in length. A normal city block (short side of the rectangle) is 300 feet, so the train length will be over two blocks.

Using Google Earth tool function, from the intersection of Cadiz and Hotel which will be located on the north side of Texas Central's station, DART's convention center station is approximately 2200 feet away and Cedars station is 3200 feet away. Since the train will park south of the designated intersection, you might have to add the full length of the 700 feet train to reach the Convention Center station, likewise you might be able to shorten 700 feet to reach the Cedars station. So DART stations would be either 2200-2700 feet or 2500-3200 feet away. I would state depending upon which end of the train was riding on, that would determine which train station you would walk or ride to. So, it's either 7 to 8 blocks away with the train potentially being one of those blocks. Is asking potential riders to walk a half mile too far?

Will there be battery powered scooters or bikes sharing stations nearby? Will there be free or pay shuttle buses? Somehow, I believe the demand and supply and user costs will determine what will be available.

Good analysis. But I think it understates the average walk. The skywalks connect to the station 1 level below the tracks. So, it would appear from the renderings we've seen, that no matter which end of the train you are riding on, you'll have to go to roughly the center of the station to take the escalators down one level, and the skywalks appear to connect at roughly the center of the station. (So if you happen to be in the front car, you'll have to back-track to get down and into the skywalk, before proceeding to the DART convention center station.)

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Oct 2020 11:48

THRILLHO wrote:
Tucy wrote:

The old conceptual renderings for the station included a skybridge connection to the Dallas Convention Center DART station. The newer renderings don't show off a view of such a connection but I imagine it would still be the plans.

Cool. But to be clear, the skywalk does not quite take you to the DART Convention Center station. Closer, but still about another 1,000 foot walk.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 05 Oct 2020 12:22

The exit of the skybridge to the convention center station would be the same walking distance as from the exit of the north end of DFW's Terminal A to the airport DART station.
It's not ideal of course, but I think because most people will view this thing as an airport of sorts, the psychological hurdle of the distance won't be too big of a deal. That will be particularly true if the skybridge is air-conditioned, feels of-a-piece with the HSR station itself, and has moving walkways that eliminate the need to walk any of it. The nice view of downtown from it probably won't hurt either.

My hope is that the walk from the presumed skybridge exit to the dart station gets improved significantly...

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 05 Oct 2020 18:17

THRILLHO wrote:The exit of the skybridge to the convention center station would be the same walking distance as from the exit of the north end of DFW's Terminal A to the airport DART station.
It's not ideal of course, but I think because most people will view this thing as an airport of sorts, the psychological hurdle of the distance won't be too big of a deal. That will be particularly true if the skybridge is air-conditioned, feels of-a-piece with the HSR station itself, and has moving walkways that eliminate the need to walk any of it. The nice view of downtown from it probably won't hurt either.

My hope is that the walk from the presumed skybridge exit to the dart station gets improved significantly...

The main train stations in Tokyo are absolutely massive - you can easily walk a half-mile from the train platform to the subway platform, entirely indoors/underground. The generally mild weather, abundance of shops, and general pace of people around you make that distance feel like nothing. Some stations (like Shinjuku) are almost maze-like in their layout so you don't see the distance you have to walk, which helps with the psychology of it to a point - there's no demoralizing long hallway. TCR needs to find some way for that walk to not *feel* like a long walk, and being Texas, at the absolute minimum that means making it climate controlled for all but maybe the last 250 feet to the DART platform.

Honestly the best thing would be for the skybridge to connect directly to the convention center at the ballroom level and have enclosed stairs down to street level, the only problem is that there's no pre-function space on that side - it's all loading docks.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Oct 2020 18:53

I would imagine that side of the convention center will get redone.

electricron

Postby electricron » 19 Nov 2020 09:22

DART could tie the Texas Central HSR station to Union Station with its sole remaining RDC using the freight tracks, or just extend all the TRE trains there. They all idle for some time at Union Station anyways, they could just idle for less time a mile further south. If they did, there would be an easier means for mid cities and Fort Worth passengers to get to the HSR trains.

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 29 Dec 2020 15:12

Miyahista Park would look great straddling I-30... just sayin'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 07 Jan 2021 12:03

electricron wrote:DART could tie the Texas Central HSR station to Union Station with its sole remaining RDC using the freight tracks, or just extend all the TRE trains there. They all idle for some time at Union Station anyways, they could just idle for less time a mile further south. If they did, there would be an easier means for mid cities and Fort Worth passengers to get to the HSR trains.

Unfortunately the 3 tracks that serve passenger platforms at Union Station pretty quickly collapse down to 1 track after the platform ends, with more switches and interlockings on the other side of the Convention center. Not to say it's impossible, but once you go south of Union Station, all the track is in Union Pacific's hands.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 07 Jan 2021 18:54

TNWE wrote:
electricron wrote:DART could tie the Texas Central HSR station to Union Station with its sole remaining RDC using the freight tracks, or just extend all the TRE trains there. They all idle for some time at Union Station anyways, they could just idle for less time a mile further south. If they did, there would be an easier means for mid cities and Fort Worth passengers to get to the HSR trains.

Unfortunately the 3 tracks that serve passenger platforms at Union Station pretty quickly collapse down to 1 track after the platform ends, with more switches and interlockings on the other side of the Convention center. Not to say it's impossible, but once you go south of Union Station, all the track is in Union Pacific's hands.

That one track though is only used by Amtrak, so at least there's no freight traffic to fight. The track just south of the Convention Center merges back into the main track before another siding branches off to take the first ones spot, but this one is only used for Dallas, Garland & Northeastern trains for switching cars in their small yard south of I-30. Wouldn't take but some minor changes to allow for a passenger platform, and as I recall the city is running a study to determine if they should do so.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Jan 2021 19:02

^they should, and continue TRE to Fair Park, Mesquite, Forney and Terrell.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 08 Jan 2021 08:08

tamtagon wrote:^they should, and continue TRE to Fair Park, Mesquite, Forney and Terrell.

Didn't UP shoot down a proposal to run TRE trains through to Fair Park for TX-OU? I recall it being something about insurance or liability.

As northsouth noted, reworking <1 mile of track to accommodate a TRE platform at the HSR station is a lot easier than getting space on UP mainlines for a whole new commuter line.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 26 Jan 2021 22:52

https://www.texascentral.com/life-on-the-fast-train/

Texas Central came out with a video of the process riding the train on their website if anyone hasn’t seen it. Looks pretty cool and efficient.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 27 Jan 2021 08:56

^ Wow! We need this now!

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 28 Jan 2021 13:25

tamtagon wrote:^they should, and continue TRE to Fair Park, Mesquite, Forney and Terrell.

I thought that for years now. Dallas needs the light rail for intra/inter city travel and heavy rail, like Chicago's MARTA, to places like McKinney, Frisco, Terrell, Waxahachie.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Jan 2021 20:29

MC_ScattCat wrote:

I thought that for years now. Dallas needs the light rail for intra/inter city travel and heavy rail, like Chicago's MARTA, to places like McKinney, Frisco, Terrell, Waxahachie.

Dallas had electric interurban trains to those places* 100 years ago!

This person has a nice map of the various lines for sale:
https://fiftythree.studio/collections/l ... l-map-1925
___
ETA: *except Frisco, apparently

electricron

Postby electricron » 28 Jan 2021 23:49

OrangeMike wrote:Dallas had electric interurban trains to those places* 100 years ago!
This person has a nice map of the various lines for sale:
https://fiftythree.studio/collections/l ... l-map-1925
___
ETA: *except Frisco, apparently

Frisco may not have been served by the interurbans, but it was by the Frisco RR. From July 1952 a Frisco schedules, check out the last page and Trains 517 and 518.
https://www.american-rails.com/frisco.html#gallery[pageGallery]/6/
Southbound train between 6 am, northbound train 8:55 pm

Do not know when the Frisco stopped running this particular passenger train, but their last passenger train was in December 1967.

And by the way, the Federal government broke up Stone and Webster, which owned all the interurbans in North Texas, owning both the electric utilities and their power plants and the interurbans was too much of a monopoly. They had to part with one or the other, so they parted with the interurbans and kept the utility companies.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Jan 2021 06:32

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/be7 ... 0Study.pdf

I like this one... Even though this for long train rides, at least the downtown to eastern exurbs has been studied. There have been a handful of initiatives to get DART trains into Kaufman County.

electricron

Postby electricron » 29 Jan 2021 09:06

tamtagon wrote:https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/be785d40/files/uploaded/DFW%20to%20Meridian%20Passenger%20Rail%20Study.pdf

I like this one... Even though this for long train rides, at least the downtown to eastern exurbs has been studied. There have been a handful of initiatives to get DART trains into Kaufman County.

Interesting study of possibilities and what ifs by some university student and professor at Texas A&M. Note the link does not include an official TXDOT url. :)
You can find this study linked at a high speed rail proponent's web site
https://www.i-20corridorcouncil.com/capacity-study

along with an Amtrak feasibility study on the same page.

Both studies left out very important stakeholders, the Union Pacific and Kansas City Southern Railroads - you know those who own the tracks and will contract out any upgrades needed to the corridors. Neither railroad participated with either study, so what the studies recommendations might be needed are not what the railroads will require and demand will be needed.

The study headed by A&M did not think Amtrak would need more cars, well guess what the Amtrak study wanted, more cars. The A&M study only looked at capital costs to implement what they thought was needed, completely ignoring operations and maintenance costs. Guess what the Amtrak study concentrated upon, yes you got it right, operations and maintenance costs on going year after year.

While it is fun to read these studies, you have to take them like spilled salt. They are just what ifs.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 29 Jan 2021 19:16

electricron wrote:And by the way, the Federal government broke up Stone and Webster, which owned all the interurbans in North Texas, owning both the electric utilities and their power plants and the interurbans was too much of a monopoly. They had to part with one or the other, so they parted with the interurbans and kept the utility companies.

Minor historical correction, Stone & Webster only owned Fort Worth's streetcar system and the interurbans from there to Cleburne and Dallas. The Texas Electric Railway was locally owned to my knowledge, and the Texas Interurban Railway was under the same ownership as Dallas Railway & Terminal and Dallas Power & Light (local to an extent but ultimately owned by GE).

electricron

Postby electricron » 30 Jan 2021 00:22

northsouth wrote:Minor historical correction, Stone & Webster only owned Fort Worth's streetcar system and the interurbans from there to Cleburne and Dallas. The Texas Electric Railway was locally owned to my knowledge, and the Texas Interurban Railway was under the same ownership as Dallas Railway & Terminal and Dallas Power & Light (local to an extent but ultimately owned by GE).

Thanks for the correction.

Haretip

Postby Haretip » 02 Mar 2021 18:45

northsouth wrote:Minor historical correction, Stone & Webster only owned Fort Worth's streetcar system and the interurbans from there to Cleburne and Dallas. The Texas Electric Railway was locally owned to my knowledge, and the Texas Interurban Railway was under the same ownership as Dallas Railway & Terminal and Dallas Power & Light (local to an extent but ultimately owned by GE).

As I recall, Dallas streetcars were consolidated by DuPont and then sold to Stone and Webster. That's why the predominant streetcars in Dallas in the teens were Stone & Webster standards and Birney cars designed by Stone & Webster's Charles O. Birney. I do not recall what year S&W sold the Dallas system. Even though they did have anti-trust action by the feds, they saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to divest from streetcars in the 1930s. They decided power generation would be the more profitable side of the business to maintain.

As for the HSR, local circulation is important to feed/receive HSR passengers. I did find myself walking way more than normal as I moved around Japan last year. But there was also great local trains to expand my range and common ticketing through JR East. Perhaps TCR can work with DART and Houston Metro to include a day pass with any ticket on TCR?
“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 02 Mar 2021 19:24

Haretip wrote:I do not recall what year S&W sold the Dallas system.

It was 1917 when S&W sold the Dallas lines to GE. They then consolidated the companies that had been under the control of S&W's Dallas Electric Corporation; the Dallas Consolidated & Electric Street Railway Co. (itself the result of a previous round of consolidation, as the name implies), the Rapid Transit Railway Co., and the Metropolitan Street Railway Co., into the Dallas Railway Company. S&W's Northern Texas Traction Co. kept ownership of the lines in Oak Cliff that weren't owned by the Texas Electric Railway but leased them to the newly formed Dallas Railway Co. (Dallas Railway & Terminal Co. after 1926) until NTTC abandoned the Dallas-Fort Worth interurban in 1934 at, at which point DR&T bought them.

Having done some research recently on the genealogy of Dallas's streetcar lines recently (which is why I could pull the info above together easily) makes me appreciate having a unified system instead of a bunch of little ones. Dayton, Ohio had no fewer than 5 separate streetcar (later trolleybus) companies into the 1940s. Dayton's (long since consolidated and brought under public control) transit system actually still runs trolleybuses today, a rarity in North America where most surviving systems have either very steep grades or tunnels they have to traverse.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 04 May 2021 07:07

Texas Central announces contract for electrical/communication system.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 81703.html