DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

IcedCowboyCoffee

Re: DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 09 Aug 2023 15:28

I refuse to get my hopes up for this project anymore, but this is something at least. Heavy Amtrak involvement is likely the only way this ever happens.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Aug 2023 16:50

The state should be investing in this too.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Aug 2023 09:56

Texas Central was always adamant about not accepting federal funding of any kind. I wonder what kind of changes including Amtrack will mean to this project. Can't be good.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 11 Aug 2023 15:42

I'm a little surprised there's not a good rail connection between the TX triangle cities. Brightline in FL and CA seem to use existing tracks for the most part and I guess there really isn't that here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Aug 2023 09:58

MC_ScattCat wrote:I'm a little surprised there's not a good rail connection between the TX triangle cities. Brightline in FL and CA seem to use existing tracks for the most part and I guess there really isn't that here.

I often wonder about Brightline and why that seems to work so well there and not here. It's not as fast but could already be finished by now.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 14 Aug 2023 10:14

I think in part the rail lines are either already built and just upgraded or from the time I visited Orlando this summer they built a new line which runs along existing Florida DOT right of way.

electricron

Postby electricron » 15 Aug 2023 12:06

Tnexster wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:I'm a little surprised there's not a good rail connection between the TX triangle cities. Brightline in FL and CA seem to use existing tracks for the most part and I guess there really isn't that here.

I often wonder about Brightline and why that seems to work so well there and not here. It's not as fast but could already be finished by now.

Several reasons why Brightline works, and why those reasons do not work in Texas.
Brightline runs on Florida East Coast Railroad tracks the entire way between Miami and Cocoa. Both Brightline and Florida East Coast are owned by the same corporation, Fortress Investment Group. Technically, Brightline is buying track access to the FEC tracks, but the lease payment is very small because you scratch my back and i will scratch yours deals. Brightline is paying to double track the entire line, which FEC freights get to use. A win-win situation!

In Texas, the Amtrak route between Fort Worth and Temple runs over BNSF tracks, and between Temple and San Antonio over UP tracks. The run between San Antonio and Houston is entirely UP tracks. There's options between Dallas and Houston, BNSF and UP have tracks between these two cities, although UP runs via Bryan and College Station. A decade or so ago, Austin and San Antonion tried to introduce commuter rail between them over the UP tracks, a project called Lone Star. It died a quick death when it became apparent Lone Star had no money to make that scratch my back and I will scratch yours deal. Lone Star wanted to assume the UP tracks and build UP a new bypass line in the median of SH130. Sounds reasonable for the Lone Star trains, but a terrible choice for UP. All the industries UP serves on the existing track business would be lost, and there is no way to connect business to the main line with it being in the median of a tollway. Lone Star did not even wish to pay to double track the UP line. No money, no deal!

Amtrak by Federal law can gain access to freight owned tracks paying for improvements needed to support passenger rail along the corridors. No body else can force their way onto freight owned tracks. To gain access to the tracks, the public agency has to have money to make a sweetheart deal with the freight railroad company. As Texas state law exists today, TXDOT can not spend any money on railroads. Amtrak does not spend money upgrading tracks it does not own. No money, no trains.