Dallas Union Station

IcedCowboyCoffee

Dallas Union Station

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 15 Dec 2023 11:01

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for Union Station, but I wanted to pluck this out of the article about the Hunt-Realty Reunion site:

unionstation5.JPG

"Hunt Realty unveils $5 billion redevelopment plan for downtown Dallas’ Reunion project"
Architect’s renderings for the Reunion development show a dozen new high-rises between Interstate 35E and Houston Street. Construction across the railroad tracks would link Union Station more directly to the Hyatt.

“We have huge aspirations to redevelop Union Station,” Fitzgibbons [President of Hunt Realty Investments] said. “Other stations around the country have been redeveloped to other uses.”

- https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/12/15/hunt-realty-rolls-out-a-new-5-billion-redevelopment-plan-for-downtown-dallas-reunion/

Previously, we had this rendering from this CBS News report a year ago.
unionstation4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Union Station

Postby dfwcre8tive » 15 Dec 2023 12:09

Does Hunt own air rights over the tracks? The elevated pedestrian bridge is also interesting. It's an active freight line so I imagine any structure would need to be pretty high (the reason the overhead bridges were replaced with the pedestrian tunnel in the first place).

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Dec 2023 16:37

dfwcre8tive wrote:Does Hunt own air rights over the tracks? The elevated pedestrian bridge is also interesting. It's an active freight line so I imagine any structure would need to be pretty high (the reason the overhead bridges were replaced with the pedestrian tunnel in the first place).

It's likely not even real thing, you can get to Reunion Tower from Union station already. Theres a tunnel near the DART station that connects to the Hotel

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 19 Dec 2023 17:17

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
dfwcre8tive wrote:Does Hunt own air rights over the tracks? The elevated pedestrian bridge is also interesting. It's an active freight line so I imagine any structure would need to be pretty high (the reason the overhead bridges were replaced with the pedestrian tunnel in the first place).

It's likely not even real thing, you can get to Reunion Tower from Union station already. Theres a tunnel near the DART station that connects to the Hotel

Yes, when the overhead was removed and replaced with the tunnel it used to lead out to a larger parking lot (current location of Reunion) for Union Station passengers. The tunnel was retained and connected to Reunion Tower; it's still maintained as access to the platforms so I doubt that will go away.

I always thought the 1928 Rail Relocation plan was interesting idea, as one of the first plans to redevelop the Union Station area as the Trinity River was pushed further west.

1928 Rail Relocate.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.