urban cable car aerial tramway

Cbdallas

urban cable car aerial tramway

Postby Cbdallas » 16 Feb 2022 15:04

https://www.domusweb.it/en/sustainable- ... start.html

I know this has already been done I believe in Columbia but this French system looks interesting. I wonder if there could be any real application here in Dallas. If I remember reading somewhere is that the cost per rider is lower for this system.

Hannibal Lecter

Re: urban cable car aerial tramway

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 17 Feb 2022 15:19

They work so well in Dallas winds....

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: Urban Cable Car/Aerial Tramway

Postby undefinedprocess » 05 Apr 2022 10:24

Cbdallas wrote:https://www.domusweb.it/en/sustainable-cities/2022/02/14/paris-2025-the-first-urban-cable-car-gets-ready-to-start.html

I know this has already been done I believe in Columbia but this French system looks interesting. I wonder if there could be any real application here in Dallas. If I remember reading somewhere is that the cost per rider is lower for this system.

This response surely belongs in a "Dream DFW" sort of thread, but I'll still put it here... I think one *potential* location for something like this is running a "line" from Reunion-ish (closer to Riverfront) across the river to Trinity Groves (maybe not directly into TG; maybe a bit further south, north, not sure). I think that's really the only place I could think of it "making sense," and it'd be ever-so-slightly "making sense" in a very touristy application.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Apr 2022 12:48

San Diego had proposed building one of these from their Embarcadero Downtown to Balboa Park. The costs and impact do seem much lower than rail options but these are also seem slower and lower volume than other transit methods.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 07 Apr 2022 20:44

Aerial tramways are generally only really useful in specific situations where other modes are infeasible or take much longer/farther, like if you're trying to go up a very tall and steep hill or cliff. Road- (and most rail-) based transit would require going the long way around to either a shallower/shorter slope or making a much more winding path upwards. Two options could work in this situation: a ground-based rack railway or a funicular, or an elevated cable tramway. However, due to their design, the ground-based options require a constant degree of slope; they also need a right-of-way free of other infrastructure, and may have more limited capacity as the line gets longer. An aerial tramway avoids these issues, but may be more expensive and require more frequent maintenance (can't have people falling out of the sky).

Most aerial tramways are built in mountainous areas for tourism purposes, where the mountain grades change frequently and there's an intention to lessen the environmental impact. In rare cases, one may work in an urban environment for actual transportation uses: in Portland there's a tramway that connects a university located atop a 500-foot hill with transit and highways at the base by the river.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Apr 2022 00:00

Austin's gonna get a private funicular for the rich peeps in a new West Lake Hills development. :lol:

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Apr 2022 18:05

We're not exactly Medellin Colombia...doesn't make sense since we are flat.

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 11 Oct 2022 20:53

Las Vegas was thinking of getting this but instead went with a Tesla tunnel.............That worked out well.