DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

electricron

Re: DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Postby electricron » 31 Dec 2021 21:20

I would feel much better about the latest news if it was posted on Texas Central's web site, but as I am writing this response it is not there.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2022 15:41

electricron wrote:I would feel much better about the latest news if it was posted on Texas Central's web site, but as I am writing this response it is not there.

That website has been basically dead for two years. But then they also have very little staff around, anybody that kept up with that was let go almost two years ago.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 20 Mar 2022 22:27

Hey forum friends, we've been talking a lot about this on the Discord since the forum went down for 80+% of people in November. You lucky 10-20% who didn't have your cache flushed and could still access the forum, well... I'm jealous. But now, forum's up again and we're back! With that being said...

Since it's been such a long time since "everyone" had access to the forum and been a decent amount of time since this thread has had any posts (and much has happened in the courts), wanted to bump this to start the conversation back up. Many of you have had unique perspectives on this project in the past, so with all of the latest developments around this thing (and while we wait for the TX Supreme Court), I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the future of the Dallas to Houston HSR.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 03 Apr 2022 19:14

undefinedprocess wrote:Hey forum friends, we've been talking a lot about this on the Discord since the forum went down for 80+% of people in November. You lucky 10-20% who didn't have your cache flushed and could still access the forum, well... I'm jealous. But now, forum's up again and we're back! With that being said...

Since it's been such a long time since "everyone" had access to the forum and been a decent amount of time since this thread has had any posts (and much has happened in the courts), wanted to bump this to start the conversation back up. Many of you have had unique perspectives on this project in the past, so with all of the latest developments around this thing (and while we wait for the TX Supreme Court), I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the future of the Dallas to Houston HSR.

I heard that the Texas Supreme Court requested the state of Texas weigh in on the HSR, etc. Basically the State’s position was NOT in support of the project anymore, so just one more reason that the project may never get built. It’s unfortunate IMHO but we’ll see what the TSC says. If the ruling is that Texas Central is not a RR and cannot use eminent domain then it spells doom for almost any other similar rail or privatized hyper loop project in the future..

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 03 Apr 2022 21:12

mhainli wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:Hey forum friends, we've been talking a lot about this on the Discord since the forum went down for 80+% of people in November. You lucky 10-20% who didn't have your cache flushed and could still access the forum, well... I'm jealous. But now, forum's up again and we're back! With that being said...

I heard that the Texas Supreme Court requested the state of Texas weigh in on the HSR, etc. Basically the State’s position was NOT in support of the project anymore, so just one more reason that the project may never get built. It’s unfortunate IMHO but we’ll see what the TSC says. If the ruling is that Texas Central is not a RR and cannot use eminent domain then it spells doom for almost any other similar rail or privatized hyper loop project in the future..

Yeah, and the news coming out a day or two ago about Texas Central not paying taxes... Not looking too good. Wonder if Brightline could do something. They seem to have all of their shit together in multiple states.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 04 Apr 2022 11:16

Do we have a general idea when the Texas supreme court will put out their ruling on this?? I've been waiting on pins and needles...

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 15 Apr 2022 21:56

The ruling so be this summer.

TC needs to put up (show financing) or shut up (let another company take the idea).

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 17 Apr 2022 22:59

longhorn wrote:TC needs to put up (show financing) or shut up (let another company take the idea).

Yup. I've pretty much lost faith in them now with the whole tax debacle. Time to let someone else step in and take the reins.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 13 Jun 2022 23:24

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/carlosfa ... um=ios_app

(From discord) looks like CEO of Texas central is stepping down. This is the end fellas :cry:

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Jun 2022 09:02

Sad.

Triggerman

Postby Triggerman » 15 Jun 2022 20:57

really sad

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 16 Jun 2022 11:38

Any idea when the state supreme court is expected to hand down its ruling on this?

Edit: Just noticed I already asked this :lol:

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Jun 2022 17:29

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Any idea when the state supreme court is expected to hand down its ruling on this?

Does it really matter at this point?

The CEO has already thrown in the towel.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 17 Jun 2022 10:27

I am afraid the only High Speed rail we are ever going to experience is along our travels to Europe or Asia.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 17 Jun 2022 15:21

3 thoughts:

1) This shows exactly why railroad infrastructure in the US is so expensive- gigantic front end costs that other countries don't deal with. It'd be interesting to tally how much money they have spent to this point with little to show for it, maybe beyond a less-than completely contiguous rail corridor they are in tax arrears for. Other countries, like China, have built entire runs just since this has been proposed.

2) We all laugh, but Brightline in Florida is under construction, about to open, and has plans for a 300 mile run to Orlando. So maybe a Ft Worth to Dallas as a lower speed segment that would have solved lots of problems (ie: would be a railroad) and shown promise would not have been a terrible idea in hindsight.

3) Per Community Impact:
"Aguilar testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Transportation Committee in May 2021 and its subcommittee on railroads, where he suggested the railroad could use funds from the 1998 House Resolution 2, which includes a program that guarantees federal loans of up to $3.5 billion for projects.
H-GAC transportation officials confirmed to Community Impact Newspaper that the project is on the organization’s 2023-26 Transportation Improvement Plans, where its current entry lists it receiving $3.3 billion in local funds."

So I'm not sure if the $3.3 billion is matching funds or straight cash-money, but maybe it is just temporarily on-hold, and another CEO can shepherd it beyond. That's just me being ridiculously optimistic.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 17 Jun 2022 15:40

Addison wrote:
IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Any idea when the state supreme court is expected to hand down its ruling on this?

Whatever the ruling is it sets a precedent that any future efforts will need to be cognizant of.

Besides, personally I'm not ready to abandon all hope just yet.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jun 2022 16:10

The_Overdog wrote:3 thoughts:

1) This shows exactly why railroad infrastructure in the US is so expensive- gigantic front end costs that other countries don't deal with. It'd be interesting to tally how much money they have spent to this point with little to show for it, maybe beyond a less-than completely contiguous rail corridor they are in tax arrears for. Other countries, like China, have built entire runs just since this has been proposed.

2) We all laugh, but Brightline in Florida is under construction, about to open, and has plans for a 300 mile run to Orlando. So maybe a Ft Worth to Dallas as a lower speed segment that would have solved lots of problems (ie: would be a railroad) and shown promise would not have been a terrible idea in hindsight.

3) Per Community Impact:
"Aguilar testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Transportation Committee in May 2021 and its subcommittee on railroads, where he suggested the railroad could use funds from the 1998 House Resolution 2, which includes a program that guarantees federal loans of up to $3.5 billion for projects.
H-GAC transportation officials confirmed to Community Impact Newspaper that the project is on the organization’s 2023-26 Transportation Improvement Plans, where its current entry lists it receiving $3.3 billion in local funds."

So I'm not sure if the $3.3 billion is matching funds or straight cash-money, but maybe it is just temporarily on-hold, and another CEO can shepherd it beyond. That's just me being ridiculously optimistic.

As it says in your quoted language, the proposed federal money was to be a loan.

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 Jun 2022 16:12

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
Addison wrote:

Whatever the ruling is it sets a precedent that any future efforts will need to be cognizant of.

Fair enough.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 24 Jun 2022 15:32

Addison wrote:
IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
Addison wrote:

Fair enough.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... omain.html

Looks like the Texas Supreme Court has granted the use of Eminent Domain for this project. We’ll see what this means long term..

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jun 2022 18:36

So, maybe the first CEO was simply intended to get the thing through most of the red tape, and the next CEO will be the one who gets it built. Then another change, a CEO geared to operate the line.

Addison

Postby Addison » 24 Jun 2022 19:27

mhainli wrote:
Addison wrote:
IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Whatever the ruling is it sets a precedent that any future efforts will need to be cognizant of.

Fair enough.

Looks like the Texas Supreme Court has granted the use of Eminent Domain for this project. We’ll see what this means long term..

Yep, saw that in the discord.

I guess all hope isn't lost then...

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 24 Jun 2022 21:17

mhainli wrote:
Addison wrote:
IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Whatever the ruling is it sets a precedent that any future efforts will need to be cognizant of.

Fair enough.

Time to show the 30 Billion dollars financing.